Keanu Reeves is all in as John Wick, zipping through the streets of Paris and facing off against the High Table’s bad guys. It’s one of his most action-packed roles, especially compared to his surfer days in Point Break. Watching him evolve into John Wick has been a wild ride for Keanu fans over the years.
Training with Hollywood’s Best
With director Chad Stahelski taking the lead, a Hollywood legend himself and a former stunt double for Reeves in The Matrix, the actor underwent a radical transformation. Collaborating with martial arts experts like Donnie Yen and Taran Butler of Taran Tactical, Reeves mastered Jiu-Jitsu, Judo, and the unique blend of martial arts known as Gun-Fu. Those who have worked closely with Reeves, have praised his work ethic and commitment, noting that “he always gives 100%.”
A Regimen of Grit and Agility
Reeves’ training regimen was a mix of martial arts, weapon training, and physical conditioning. He spent months with the Taran Tactical team, perfecting his gun range skills and mastering weapon handling. The training was rigorous, involving countless reps of Jiu-Jitsu rolls, judo throws, and the precise art of Gun-Fu, essential for the film’s fight choreography.
The Hollywood Gym: A Stage for Legends
In some of California’s most elite gyms, Reeves trained alongside co-star, Halle Berry, ensuring his fitness level was on par with his castmate. His workouts were focused on building muscle but also about enhancing mobility, stability, and agility—key components for performing the John Wick franchise’s insane stunts.
Diet: The Foundation of Health
Adopting a whole food diet, Reeves focused on nutrients that fostered muscle recovery and sustained energy levels. His diet included lean proteins, complex carbohydrates, and healthy fats. Supplements like fish oils, magnesium and L-glutamine played a crucial role in keeping him in top physical condition.
Stunts: A Symphony of Chaos and Control
The stunt sequences in John Wick, choreographed by Scott Adkins and Hiroyuki Sanada (The Last Samurai), were a blend of technical choreography and raw physicality. From hand-to-hand combat to navigating muscle cars through the streets of France, every scene was planned and executed perfectly. Reeves worked closely with the stunt teams, performing many of his own stunts and taking it to the next level with each new installment of the Lionsgate-backed action franchise.
Behind the Scenes: The Unsung Heroes
Raising the Bar: New Levels of Action
With each new movie, John Wick’s action scenes reached new heights. The preparation for these scenes was extensive, with weeks of training dedicated to mastering the art of hand combat and perfecting the use of prop guns.
Keanu Reeves’ “John Wick” Workout Routine
1. Martial Arts Training:
- Jiu-Jitsu and Judo: Focusing on grappling and ground fighting techniques.
- Gun-Fu: A blend of martial arts and gunplay, requiring agility and precision.
2. Strength and Conditioning:
- Functional Strength Training: Exercises like squats, deadlifts, and lunges to build overall body strength and strengthen glutes.
- Core Workouts: Planks, Russian twists, and leg raises to strengthen the core.
- Circuit Training: High-intensity workouts for stamina and endurance.
3. Weapons Training:
- Firearms Handling: Training with Taran Tactical to improve shooting accuracy and weapon handling.
- Close Quarter Combat: Integrating martial arts with weapons training.
4. Flexibility and Mobility Workouts:
- Yoga and Stretching: To improve flexibility and prevent injuries.
- Dynamic Warm-Ups: Exercises like lunges and jump squats to prepare the body for intense physical activity.
5. Recovery and Injury Prevention:
- Cryotherapy: For muscle recovery and reducing inflammation.
- Ice Baths: To aid in recovery and reduce muscle soreness.
Keanu Reeves’ Diet for “John Wick”
1. Macronutrient Balance:
- Proteins: Lean meats, fish, and plant-based proteins for muscle repair and growth.
- Carbohydrates: Whole grains, fruits, and vegetables for energy.
- Fats: Healthy fats from sources like avocados, nuts, and olive oil.
- Water: Ample hydration is crucial for overall health and performance.
- Electrolyte-Rich Drinks: To replenish lost minerals during intense training.
- Fish Oils: For joint health and reducing inflammation.
- Magnesium: To aid in muscle recovery and sleep quality.
- L-Glutamine: For gut health and immune system support.
- Curcumin: As a natural anti-inflammatory agent.
4. Focus on Whole Foods:
- Minimally Processed Foods: Emphasis on fresh, whole ingredients.
- Vegetables and Fruits: A wide variety for micronutrients and fiber.
- Lean Protein Sources: For muscle maintenance and recovery.
5. Recovery Nutrition:
- Post-Workout Meals: High in protein and carbs to aid in muscle recovery and replenish glycogen stores.
Tailoring to Individual Needs
It’s important to note that while this regimen worked for Keanu Reeves, individual needs can vary greatly based on factors like age, fitness level, and personal health. Always consider consulting with fitness and nutrition professionals when embarking on a new workout or diet plan.